Hello there! January (and a rather large chunk of February) came and went and how I’ve missed my corner of the interwebs! I didn’t start the year with any resolutions, words, or big goals. Mostly, after the holidays, I just wanted a chance to catch my breath. I did eventually set a few intentions but the pace this year is far more deliberate and slow.
Knitflixing: I’ve been watching Glee while working on a pair of Hermione’s Everyday Socks. I didn’t realize until after I started watching it that there is a lot of tragedy surrounding the actors who star in it. It’s been such a fun guilty pleasure, but after learning that, I have very mixed feelings. While knitting, I’ve also been listening to the Harry Potter and the Sacred Text podcast. Marian has mentioned it a few times, and I’m so glad she has. I really love it.
Reading: I found”Where the Crawdads Sing” underwhelming, but I don’t know if that was because everyone has been raving. I read Circe and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. (Thank you for the nudge, Rita.) I checked out “The Almost Nearly Perfect People” from the library three times but never managed to finish it. I liked it but needed time to set it down and as it was a library book, that just wasn’t possible. I also read “What We Talk About When We Talk about Rape” and consider it required reading. I’ve read a few other not-as-notables, but I always share my reads on goodreads if you want to come and find me there.
Making: sandwich bread. It was not good. It wasn’t BAD. It just wasn’t good. As everyone in our family is working on developing a growth mindset and I’m trying to lead by example, I bought a book that talks a lot about the science of baking bread, and I’m going to try again but with a little more guidance. Other random bits:
- So many school days called because of weather. I’m still discombobulated due to the lack of routine.
- Jesse and I had a mini-trip to Aruba. He had meetings for work and I tagged along. We were going to add a few days and make a vacation out of it, but that didn’t work out as planned. Still, it was a nice couple days of sunshine and warmth. I didn’t realize how DRY it is there. Very desert-y.
- I didn’t rejoin Facebook after my usual holiday hiatus. I went a step even further and deactivated Instagram. I have this niggling thought/challenge in the back of my mind to go the whole year without either.
- I bought each of the kids (and myself) sketchbooks and it’s been really fun. Some of us need to work on the whole “growth mindset” thing though and not worry about the art being perfect. I’m not naming names though.
- Orange roses are my favorite. A friend gave me some earlier this year and now they’re the only kind I want. I bought these for myself the day before Valentine’s Day at the grocery store. Jesse called me while I was checking out so I told him “Hey, you bought me roses for Valentine’s Day.” The guy standing behind me laughed and when I hung up told me to tell my husband “that he had done good.” I don’t know if he was talking about me buying my own Valentine’s Day present, but it made me laugh.
So that’s me. How are things in your corner of the world? What are you making, reading, watching, listening to, etc. etc?